About registering a nonprofit organisation
If yours is a non-profit organisation and is not part of government, you can apply for registration. You can submit your non-profit organisation (NPO) application at your nearest provincial social development office.
NPOs include trusts, companies or other associations of persons established for a public purpose.
Registering your NPO is beneficial because its certificate:
- improves your credibility and funding opportunities
- allows your organisation to open a bank account
- helps your organisation with tax incentives.
To register, you must be one of the following:
- non-governmental organisation (NGO)
- community-based organisation (CBO)
- faith-based organisation (FBO).
What you should do
- Submit the completed NPO application form at your nearest provincial social development office.together with two copies of the organisation’s founding documents:
- Trust – Deeds of trust and letter of authorisation from the courts
- Section 21 – Certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association
- Voluntary Association – Constitution
- The founding documents of the NPO must meet the provisions of Section 12 (A-O) of the Nonprofit Organisations Act, 1997 (Act 71 of 1997). If you fail to do that, your application will be rejected.
- You can submit your application at your nearest provincial Social Development office, post it to The Directorate, Non-profit organisations, Department of Social Development, Private Bag X901, Pretoria, 0001 or deliver it by hand to the Department of Social Development, 134 Pretorius Street, HSRC Building, Pretoria.
- If you are dissatisfied with the rejection or cancellation of your organisation’s certificate, you may launch an appeal to the panel arbitrators .
- Once it is registered, you must submit the organisation’s annual report nine months after its financial year-end. The annual report should consist of a narrative report and a financial report.
It is a criminal offence for an organisation to operate under the pretence of a registered NPO. Various government departments offer funding for various services.
- It may take approximately two months to process the entire registration.
- Once your application has been received, the department will send you an acknowledgement letter. A registration certificate will be issued if your application meets the requirements of the Nonprofit Organisations Act, 1997.
How much does it cost
The service is free.
Forms to complete